Monday, July 6, 2015

Classroom Management

Prevention:

  1. Relationships of Trust- My aim with every class is to create a true learning community where we respect and encourage each other. My first priority is to learn the names and the interests of students, and to have them learn those of their classmates through cooperative learning games. I stand at the door and greet each student by name during passing time and ask them questions about activities and sports they are involved in. I may take a few minutes at the end of class to ask students about their weekend plans.

  1. Parental Involvement- I reach out to their parents and ask them (through a survey) about their students’ strengths, challenges, and needs. I email parents a schedule of assignments and quizzes for the unit and try to get them involved with volunteering or with studying with their child. I write emails or letters or phone home when a student has been exceptional in class. I call home if a student has been the opposite of exceptional in class to elicit help and understanding of the situation, and to brainstorm solutions.

  1. Routines- I have clear routines and an organized classroom, so students know where materials are and what they are expected to do. We review these routines especially the first week of school, but refresh as necessary. These routines involve everything from how to participate in a fire drill, when to sharpen the pencil, and how to appropriately use technology in the classroom.

  1. Engagement- I keep students busy the minute they step in the classroom until the minute they leave. They know that they need to work on the “bellringer” and pull out their homework from the day before to be stamped. I try to make the most of every minute in the classroom by having meaningful activities and assessments planned. My philosophy is that it is better to have too much planned than not enough. In the event that an activity takes less time than planned, I have a variety of “sponge activities” that we can use to review a concept or learn something new in just a few minutes.

  1. Monitoring- I ought to invest in a pedometer to keep track of all the miles I walk around the classroom! I am rarely at my desk. Instead, I walk around and monitor students, to see who has questions or who might need help. It also helps to prevent problems and to nip minor problems in the bud before they escalate.

Upholding Expectations

  1. Minor Misbehavior- Besides teaching expectations, it is important to reinforce expectations. I try to keep in mind that when a student does not meet expectations, it is a teaching opportunity for the whole class to remember what the expectations are. I try to keep a calm voice (the same voice I use for giving instructions) and privately talk with the student (out in the hallway or after class). What are you doing? What should you be doing instead? Usually that fixes the problem. I also analyze if I need to change my seating chart or contact parents (if it is a recurring issue). I remind myself that the goal is to fix the behavior. The student is not the problem; the behavior is the problem. I ask myself, What is the student trying to accomplish by behaving in this way? I also talk with coworkers and my administrators if I need help with ideas on how to reach certain students.

  1. Serious Misbehavior-Certain infractions are more serious and require more immediate and serious consequences (fighting, threatening, carrying a weapon, etc). Especially in those incidences, I follow the specific school policy.

  1. Rewarding Positive Behavior- I try to reward positive behavior in a variety of ways. I call parents when students have been exceptionally good, and mail cards to students with excellent behavior. Classes can earn incentives for exceptional behavior and time on task (time to play a quick soccer game or other classroom game, for example).

No comments:

Post a Comment